● Strong and weak acids and bases differ in the extent of ionization.
The terms ionization and dissociation can be used interchangeably.
● Strong acids and bases of equal concentrations have higher conductivities than weak acids and
See section 21 in the data booklet for a list of weak acids and bases.
● A strong acid is a good proton donor and has a weak conjugate base.
● A strong base is a good proton acceptor and has a weak conjugate acid.
Applications and skills
● Distinction between strong and weak acids and bases in terms of the rates of their reactions with metals, metal oxides, metal hydroxides, metal hydrogen carbonates, and metal carbonates and their electrical conductivities for solutions of equal concentrations.