● A metallic bond is the electrostatic attraction between a lattice of positive ions and delocalized
● The strength of a metallic bond depends on the charge of the ions and the radius of the metal ion.
● Alloys usually contain more than one metal and have enhanced properties.
Examples of various alloys should be covered.
Applications and skills
● Explanation of electrical conductivity and malleability in metals.
● Explanation of trends in melting points of metals.
Trends should be limited to s- and p-block elements.
● Explanation of the properties of alloys in terms of non-directional bonding.
Student presentation: Metallic bonding