● Organic structures can be analysed and identifi ed through the use of infrared spectroscopy, mass
spectroscopy, and proton NMR.
● The presence of alcohol in a sample of breath can be detected through the use of either a redox
reaction or a fuel cell type of breathalyser.
Applications and skills
● Interpretation of a variety of analytical spectra to determine an organic structure including infrared spectroscopy, mass spectroscopy, and proton NMR.
● Description of the process of extraction and purifi cation of an organic product. Consider the use of fractional distillation, Raoult’s law, the properties on which extractions are based and explaining the relationship between organic structure and solubility.
● Description of the process of steroid detection in sport utilizing chromatography and mass
● Explanation of how alcohol can be detected with the use of a breathalyser.
● Students should be able to identify common organic functional groups in a given compound by recognition of common drug structures and from IR (section 26 of the data booklet), 1H NMR
(section 27 of the data booklet), and mass spectral fragment (section 28 of the data booklet) data.
● A common steroid structure is provided in the data booklet (section 34).
Poster task - Explaining through images and diagrams
1. Complete both of the video task above
- separating components of a mixture by extraction
- Raoult's law
2. Prepare a poster (offline) using paper and colour pen/pencils that is explaining both of the process discussed in the video tasks using drawings and diagrams rather than lots of words.
3. Take a picture of your amazing poster creation and upload it on the wakelet
Drug detection - case study
In drug research it is important that you are able to detect unknown compounds. Today you are an employee of a large Pharmaceutical industry and your job today is to determine the structural formula of an unknown compound
- Have a look at the slides and watch the videos about Gas Chromatography and Mass spectroscopy
- Analyse the spectra in the slides and/or images below (some spectra will give you more info than others)
- Identify a possible structure of the unknown compound
- Record your reasoning and analysis in Flipgrid
Sources of data:
National Institute of standards and technology, US department of commerce (2020)'Unknown comound', Chemistry WebBook, SRD 69, Accessed on: 01/04/20.https://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=C94097&Type=IR-SPEC&Index=4
Drugbank (2020)'Unknown comound', Accession Number DB01086 (APRD00539), Accessed on: 01/04/20. https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01086
Unknown compound -> name has been taken out do to the nature of the task