● A Lewis acid is a lone pair acceptor and a Lewis base is a lone pair donor.
● Relations between Brønsted–Lowry and Lewis acids and bases should be discussed.
● Both organic and inorganic examples should be studied.
● When a Lewis base reacts with a Lewis acid a coordinate bond is formed.
● A nucleophile is a Lewis base and an electrophile is a Lewis acid.
Applications and skills
● Application of Lewis acid–base theory to inorganic and organic chemistry to identify the role of the reacting species.