● Transition elements have variable oxidation numbers, form complex ions with ligands, have
coloured compounds, and display catalytic and magnetic properties.
Common oxidation numbers of the transition metal ions are listed in the IB Data booklet in sections 9
● Zn is not considered to be a transition element as it does not form ions with incomplete
● Transition elements show an oxidation number of +2 when the s electrons are removed.
Applications and skills
● Explanation of the ability of transition metals to form variable oxidation states from successive
● Explanation of the nature of the coordinate bond within a complex ion.
● Deduction of the total charge given the formula of the ion and ligands present.
● Explanation of the magnetic properties in transition metals in terms of unpaired electrons.
Transition metal properties
Mind map of Transition metals